A dozen players are already on the move
If you left your phone or tablet for five minutes this weekend, you may have missed an NFL transaction.
There was an incredible amount of movement this weekend. Let’s recap it all.
- The biggest domino fell early Sunday morning, when ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported the Miami Dolphins have agreed to a record-setting contract with defensive tackle Ndamukung Suh.
- Saturday included Randall Cobb’s new deal with the Green Bay Packers – 4-years, $40 million.
- On Sunday, Ravens free agent wide receiver Torrey Smith penned a farewell letter to the city of Baltimore. The Baltimore Sun’s Aaron Wilson reported Smith’s new deal with the San Francisco 49ers is all but done.
- The bigger surprise came Sunday evening, when Mortensen reported wide receiver Jeremy Maclin will be leaving to Eagles to join the Chiefs – reuniting him with his former head coach, Andy Reid.
- On the defensive line/pass rushing front, (which is very pertinent to the Browns), our former colleague Vic Carucci reported the Bills are close to finalizing a deal with Jerry Hughes, who has 20 sacks in his last two seasons.
- On the quarterback front, Adam Schefter reported Mark Sanchez has reached a deal to re-sign with the Eagles.
- The Eagles have also agreed to a deal with veteran running back Frank Gore, according to what Gore has been telling ESPN’s Adam Caplan.
- The Chargers were able to hold onto free agent cornerback Brandon Flowers, who netted a 4-year deal, according to Schefter.
- The Saints were able to hold onto running back Mark Ingraham for a 4-year deal, per the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
- This isn’t including all the moves that went down last week – LeSean McCoy traded from the Eagles, to the Bills for linebacker Kiko Alonso; Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall traded to the Jets for a draft pick; and the Browns were able to scoop up quarterback Josh McCown from several other suitors.
It’s funny to think free agency “officially” begins on Tuesday at 4 p.m. – because there’s already been a significant amount of league-changing moves so far in March.
What we wrote over the weekend
Breaking down the quarterbacks still available in free agency. Read More.
Could the Browns add additional kickers to create competition? Read More.
Watch the debut episodes of Inside the Cleveland Browns and The Dawg Pound Report. See it all right here.
The Browns re-signed punter Spencer Lanning. Read More.
Cleveland has also re-signed running back Shaun Draughn. Read More.